Sign in to follow this  
nitro_d

Big Bird RB25 Neo S15

Howdy,

http://www.nissansilvia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=491953&st=60 RB Swap starts here... Pressure plate exploded start of the year, royally fked my car so decided to give myself a big project. Not a mechanic, just learn as I go.

___---___---___---___---___---___---___---___---___---___---___---___---___---___---___---___---___---___---___---___---___---___---___---___---___---___---___

Long time lurker, finally bought my S15 last week.

The car is a 2001 ADM Spec-S, after looking at quite a few and not being overly impressed with the JDM models I found this clean S15 with a few mods.

Pressure plate exploded start of the year, royally fked my car so decided to give myself a big project. Not a mechanic, just learn as I go.

I plan on doing some drift and track days but also use it as my daily. Plans for it arent too crazy for now, replacing lots of suspension bushings, gaskets and just general stuff that would be worn out over 10 years. Especially since its been tuned and I drive it quite hard.

Needs moar low too, and I would like to remove the rear spoiler and reflectors to make it reallllll smooth looking.

- - - - Whats on it now - - - -

Tein Circuit Master Type RA Coilovers + Cambertops

Lightweight Steering Arms

Silk Road Rear Camber Arms

Silk Road Toe Arms

Silk Road Castor Arms

Cusco Strut Brace under bonnet and in boot

Cusco Front and Rear Swaybars

HPi Engine Damper

Gearbox Damper/Brace

Whiteline Uprated Subframe Bushes

Superpro Swaybar Bushes

GKTech Subframe C-Collars

Whiteline Front Diff Mounts

Solid Rear Diff Mounts

Standard S15 Brakes with Slotted Rotors Up Front

Rays Gram Lights 57S Pro 17"

Kumho KU-31

235/45/17 Rear

215/45/17 Front

Defi Link

Defi VSD Hud

Defi Link Display

Apexi AVC-R

HKS Turbo Timer Type 1

Yashio Factory Gear Knob

Heavy Duty Organic Clutch

GKTech Bellmouth Dump Pipe

3" Down Pipe and Hi-Flow Cat

HKS Hi-Power Silent Catback

HKS SSQV BOV (minus gay sounding fin insert)

HKS Front Mount Intercooler

STR8E180 Custom Metal Intake Pipe

Trust/Greddy Airinx Pod Filter + Enclosure

Grex/GReddy Oil Cooler + Oil Filter Relocation

Cusco Oil Catch Can

Walbro GSS341 Fuel Pump

Earls Braided Turbo Lines

Nistune installed and dyno tuned @ MRC Dyno Castle Hill

198.6rwkw at 16psi

s15.jpg

s15night.jpg

Edited by nitro_d

awesome buy mate... all nesecery money has all readt been spent. saves u dollars down the track if you do intend to carry out sum more work

Yep, exactly my thoughts, the power mods are quite mild too and the engine is in great condition.

The wiring is the dodgy bit though, currently going through and fixing up all the loose ends.

Unfortunately rego and insurance have to come first before any mods haha.

Does anyone know roughly what it would be putting down at the rear wheels. Boost is set to about 0.9bar

Edited by nitro_d

Nice find, me and the missus are about to start the search for an s15 for her. Not sure how we are going to go with one that has been modded but the battery tray hasn't been cut out

Nice buy, looks very clean.

Probably makes about 140rwkw, you could always throw it on the dyno and find out, not too expensive

You really need a few mods to get these moving. i drove a jdm with a pod and catback exhaust, was extremely slow.

theres a thread on here somewhere and someone has made an adr approved pipe that goes into the hole where te cooler pipes go.

In my area there arent really any worries with the police, i just keep off boost and drive like a granny around crowded areas. A good thing to do is make your engine bay as clean and simple as possible, they won't look as hard if your car looks clean.

Im going to get nistune when funding permits and get it dynoed then.

Bought a Walbro fuel pump. Shall be fitting it this weekend

Looks good mate! Was the kit (sides and rear) on the car already? Looks oem but has extra bit on bottom..

Yeh already on there, im pretty sure the skirts are just spec-r skirts and jdm pods but with an extra lip, no idea where they come from or the brand.

Car looks 100x better in person, looks quite average in photos.

Must take some better ones

Edited by nitro_d

28/7/11

Blew a manifold>turbo gasket last Saturday while going for a bit of a squirt.

Car now sounds like a tractor, takes ages to get to full boost and tends to boost spike as well. Got the boost turned right down and puttering around as I still gotta get to work. Getting it fixed tomorrow :)

Was a shame since I've barely been able to drive it properly since the tune due to all the rain, then the gasket goes..... Such is life..

Went on a drive day last Thursday at Eastern Creek through a friends dad, raising money for the Australian Motorsport Foundation.

Rained all day, current tyres on it felt like hard plastic in the wet. Was still good fun and I learnt a lot about car control and pushing its limits in the wet.

s15 track.jpg

s15track2.jpg

Gave the whole car a polish, took 5 years off the paint work!!

Once again photos from crappy camera phone....

WP_000034.jpg

It made 166kw on 14psi on factory tune. Was running rich down low and was quite lean up top. The power curve was all over the place too. Mrc took a lot of time tuning low revs aswell as high revs, pulls a lot harder down low and comes on boost much better. There's also a ton more torque and better fuel economy. Also peace of mind knowing your engine is running at the right afr, especially after a few mods and with the boost turned up. I could of got a bit more power out of it but I do drive it a lot so I kept it on the safe side.

The engine feels brand new and uber smooth and responsive, pulls so nicely. Definitely recommend getting nistune installed. The guys at Mrc Dyno were awesome and the tuner explained what everything meant and every step taken to tune it. I recommend them if your in Sydney.

Edited by nitro_d

Hey Mate. Nice s15 you got there neat example :). Just a question im thinking about doing a nistune on mine because mine on top does have abit of a flat spot and does fell like its leaning out. Where about is mrc located and how much do they charge to do it :).. Thanks mate

MRC is in Castle Hill near those home makers shopping center.

Install + Tune = $1100

The rear end is loose as hell, lots of axle tramp and movement.

The rear upper camber arm pillowballs are shot. Going to get new pillowballs and subframe bushes soon

controlarm1.jpg

Edited by nitro_d

Bought some Whiteline Subframe Bushes, stiffer than stock but not solids as its a daily. Also bought new rosejoints for the rear camber arms as they were shot. Getting this all fitted and aligned at the same time. Also time for new rubber, thinking Bridgestone Adrenalin RE001, had them on my old Renault, was pretty impressed, especially in the wet.

Getting a clunk from the front end over bumps, I think one of my sway bar links/bushes is stuffed. Gonna jack it up and sort it out.

Edited by nitro_d