Sign in to follow this  
1200ute

1200 Ute

Hey, I thought I would put up a few details of my 1200 ute that I have been working on slowly over the last 8 or so years. I hoping to finally get I mod plated and registered this year with a fairly stock CA18. I already have a pile of new bits to bolt on but think that it might be easier to get through mod plating and rego if it looks less showy.

Anyways here are a few pics.

Copy of Picture 001.jpg

Copy of Picture 016.jpg

Copy of Picture 021.jpg

Copy of Picture 013.jpg

Copy of Picture 009.jpg

Copy of Picture 066.jpg

Copy of Picture 065.jpg

Copy of Picture 071.jpg

Edited by 1200ute

dude what

stop drinking beer and finish it! looks dope man get it on the street and appreciate it :)

my mate has a 1200 with sr20 and he is also farting around taking ages to finish haha

Cheers guys.

MidnightMods, it has a R31 diff (cone type) with LSD, spax coilover which where meant for a jag or something similar and a custom triangulated 4 link which was done by Burning Customs when they where on the Gold Coast.

GFunk, yeah I know just got to pull my finger out but sometimes life just gets in the way of get this finished...

Some pics of my new wheels. XD9's 17*7 for the front and 18*8 for the rear. I need to roll the guards a bit more. I want to a set of old school 15's for day to day street use too.

DSC00405a.JPG

DSC00404a.JPG

DSC00402a.JPG

Here is a small update for the last couple of months.

A simple pipe from the turbo to throttle body.

IMG_0005.jpg

Some braided turbo lines - using russell silver and black ends

IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

Removed the old radiator support panel as it was completely hacked. Still need to trim this one before final fitment.

IMG_0008.jpg

Purchased a steel grill and headlight surrounds.

IMG_0010.jpg

Attached a few electrical items in the cab.

IMG_0011.jpg

Nothing done here, just some stuff for later.

IMG_0012.jpg

I won't be home home now until June some time so nothing else will happen until then :(

Cheers Sk!d, I'm just leaving the intercooler until after the car is mod plated and rego'ed.

Love the oldskool utes! Can't wait to see finished!

Btw are you going to put in a s15 dash??

That's f***ing sick. I sold my ca18 to a mate witch is doing the same thing

I'll be watching this build

Cheers guys, I do have an S15 dash at home but will decide later on what to do with it. The S15 cluster is going in though.

So nothing has really happened lately. I picked up these hand brake cables which suit the R31 brakes. I am also using the R31 hand brake mechanism which I have had the black part of the cable shortened. I just need to mock it all up when I'm next home and then get the cable ends swaged on.

Datsun 001.jpg

I also had these ends put on the cables for some extra adjustability.

Datsun 002.jpg

And I have these for a later part of the build.

Datsun 003.jpg

Subscribed!! Looks like you have done a heap of work on it mate. Great job. Love these little things!!!

Ive had three datsun 1200 utes now! Love these little things, cant wait to see how your comes along..

Looks good mate! I've always loved 1200 utes!

So I finally had a few days to get a bit done on the car.

Started out by going and cutting some sections of the front inner guards out of another 1200 ute. I picked up an engine crane for a good price and then disconnected all the wiring again and pulled out the motor.

Datsun 008.jpg

With the motor out, I cut down the sections I had bought and cut out my pervious dodgy work.

Datsun 007.jpg Datsun 012.jpg

I tack welded the new sections in about every inch on both sides. The panels were over lapped by 5-15mm.

Datsun 015.jpg

Once both were inplace I put a coat of zinc paint on to stop it from rusting.

Datsun 016.jpgDatsun 017.jpg

I had also welded up a few holes in the engine bay but I really suck at that and burn holes in the body when I can't get a nice heat sink clamped to the panel. I have decided to get a panel beat to fill the remaining holes in the engine bay and smooth it out. I cut up the tunnel from the silvia front cut i had and have mocked it up in the cabin, I'll leave this to the panel beaters as well.

Datsun 018.jpg

I pulled the brake and clutch masters and lines out in preparation for sending it to the panel beaters. I also pulled out the exhaust, seeing it like this I can now see how much work went into it.

Datsun 019.jpg

Here is another pic of the braided oil/water lines for the turbo. Do you think that the lower water hose is long enough or should it hang down lower to get it away from the heat of the turbo?

Datsun 009.jpg

This shows what I did for the boost source for the wastegate actuator. Just a 90 degree fitting (1/8 BSPT thread) onto the cast elbow off the turbo. The hose was a spare one I had when I bought a silicon heater hose kit.

Datsun 010.jpg

A few specs for the build.

Engine:

CA18 DET - stardard apart from tomei cam gears and T28BB.

Parts waiting to be fitted:

CP 9:1 piston

Tomei 1.2mm head gasket

Greddy timing belt

Greddy radiator and oil caps

Splitfire coils

Deatschwerks 850cc injectors ID2000 injectors

Aftermarket Industries 3L surge tank

Dual bosch pumps

Russell solid fuel lines

Growly CAS & Backing plate

Growly Oil filter relocation block

Greddy Oil thermostat/ remote Filter block

Plazmaman 66mm TB

Nissan gaskets

New water temp sensor

New O2 sensor

S13 gearbox

Custom tailshaft

Suspension:

Front

S13 struts

Koni adjustable inserts

220 - 260 variable rate springs

Adjustable platforms

camber and castor adjustable strut tops - Now HKS 2 way adjustables.

Rear

Custom 4 link

Spax adjustable coilovers

rear sway bar

Brakes

S13 SR brakes front (drilled and slotted DBA rotors)

R31 rear brakes (drilled and slotted DBA rotors)

Braided lines front and rear

custom braided hand brake cables (R31 setup)

Other random stuff

Supra seats

R31 fuel tank

hilux tailgate mechanism mounted inside of tailgate

Edited by 1200ute

Just put some heat resistant sleeve over that water line it will get mega hot being that close to the housing.

So, I haven't really done anything apart from buy stuff. I have started working on mounting the S13 washer motor inside the cab - just some threaded rod in the existing holes so far. I'll need to make up some stand offs / brace as the threaded rod has a lot of flex.

Datsun 020a.jpg Datsun 022a.jpg

Datsun 025a.jpg

I also had these bits cut up as internal hinges for the tailgate. Just need to sort out some more clevis pins and mount them up.

Datsun 026a.jpg

Datsun 027a.jpg Datsun 028a.jpg

Datsun 029a.jpg Datsun 030a.jpg

Just a couple of pics of the ute stripped down again to go to the panel beater for some holes to be welded up and the mods to the trans tunnel.

Datsun 023a.jpg Datsun 024a.jpg

The ute has been at the panel beaters for about 6 weeks now to get what was less than 1 weeks work done. Doesn't worry me to much as I have only been home for 6 days in that time and that was spent moving. My wife wanted some new furniture as part of the move so I was able to get some shelving for the garage as a trade off. Hopefully when I have my next break I'll have the ute back from the panel beaters and start piecing it back together...

DSC00471a.JPG

lol nice trade off. Really keen to see progress after it comes out of the shop.

Haha, yeah I probably could have worked it even more to my advantage. I'm really keen to see some progress too but I just worked out that I'm only home for 3 more R&R's before I take annual leave for the xmas break. I wish that I was able to work on the ute at xmas as well but we are going to the US for xmas and new years.

I picked up the ute today from the panel beaters. The tunnel is modified and the un-needed holes in the engine bay are welded up.

datsun 001.jpg

datsun 002.jpg

:) nice B120.

body looks so similar to mine front n rear end wise (no front side indicators,fuel flap,no bumperettes,handles,taillight section seam or indents)

have a coupe and ute myself.

coupe is sr20 :)

plan to ca18det convert the ute when i get off my ps.

in need of any parts let me know.

nath.

Cheers guys.

I put the engine back in so that I can measure up the best spot to run the wiring and heater hoses through the firewall and to also check how well the gear stick lines up with the new hole in the tunnel. I'll be running the silvia gearbox/tunnel rubbers and they are sitting pretty well.

datsun 002.jpg

I also received some pins which I had machined up for the tailgate hinges. They look pretty sweat and I'm in the process of mounting the hinges up.

datsun 001.jpg

I had a new heater core made up to suit the S13 heater box and have modded the box so that the pipes come out the top. This is it in place in the ute. Hopefully I can get the heater hoses going through the firewall up under the inlet plenum so that they are fairly well hidden.

datsun 003.jpg

Nice work man, looks like its coming along well. Bloke at my school has one of these but its running everything stock other than an exhaust sytsem as far as i know. This thing will fly when its done with the CA18DET in it