Sign in to follow this  
chris_c30

MA61 "big Bird" drift/track car

Bought this car over a month ago but haven't gotten around to doing a write up on it yet

1983 MA61 mark2 supra

running the 5me motor all modifications so far were done by the previous owner

decompressed and turbo-ed 17 psi of boost

running a Haltech ecu

weld in half cage

lower spring

Nolathane bushes throughout

LS1 coils and HSD leads

20150322_135328.jpg

upload an image

20150322_135356.jpg

uploading pictures

20150322_135442.jpg

upload img

20150322_135541.jpg

picture hosting

20150606_120254.jpg

imgurl

20150714_184151.jpg

upload image online

last weekend i did my first drift prac at Mallala had allot of fun first session out was a bit slow having never driven the car but the three after that i went allot better only damage i did was spinning out on the main straight and putting the back bumper into the wall, not allot of damage just pushed the bumper and messed up the exhaust tip a little

received_736073389853902.jpg

image hosting

during the event i found the front main seal was leaking the diff input is leaking, and there's a steering leak

my only plans so far are to fix all the leaks and do a battery relocation from the engine bay to the interior

Nice! Love the fact that it's still running the stock wheels... I always rated the MA61 wheels. So tough.

Yeh looking for a second set I like that there not massive wheels wider would be nice but might space them out for now

Bought some new second hand rays volk cv's 17 x 8 I think they look pretty good, the steers rub on the struts a little but nothing slightly smaller tyres and some spacers wont fix, original tyres were 215 on the front these are 235

20150728_200746.jpg

image host

Edited by chris_c30

Not too bad, although the Volks look a little too sleek for the chassis. Spares are spares though. I wonder if you could get a set of MA70 cheese cutters on there? Wack on some spacers and be winning lol. Any wheel that's chunky and has a lot of hard edges is the way to go imo.

I pretty much just wanted 17s and I paid 300 bucks for a set of forged rims so I don't think thats too bad, and have the added bonus of being able to chuck them on my s14 if I like, I would love some deep wantanbes on there tho

Picked up a set of these for 150 not too bad do you think they suit the era of the car better pmod? 20150802_094412.jpg

photo share

Edited by chris_c30

Tough call. Sorta yes, sorta no. Definitely in the right direction :D

The wheels on your car trailer would be perfect.

Im starting to consider options motor wise I dont want to keep using the 5m forever, everyone seems to do 1/2j so that's a pretty good bet, I also like the idea of a 1uz a few people have done that before and I think theres allot of potential for a turbo version im just not sure whats going to be my best bang for buck any tips would be welcome

So update time

I took the car out to mallala and best time I managed was a 1:35

So setup has a long way to go I had bad tyres and allot of body roll, also fuel pump would fail after awhile of driving and car got really hot, also the standard brakes ran out of pads

I have installed a s13 alloy radiator and au falcon thermo fans so hopefully that should fix my cooling issues,

I've bought some s13 struts knuckles and 300zx tt brakes for the front, I'm waiting to install them before I can work out my wheels and tyre setup, so that's where I'm currently at I'll try to add some pics as I upgrade parts

I also have a 2jzge for the car but I doubt I'll do anything with that for awhile as the current motor is still ok

Edited by chris_c30

It's only ever been out to Mallala in SA I haven't touched the car in ages since I started way too many projects at once lol, but I just finished rebuilding my ra65 for daily duty's so I can start getting this thing ready for track days again