Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_3/skin_topic.php on line 380

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_3/skin_topic.php:380) in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 110

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_3/skin_topic.php:380) in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_3/skin_topic.php:380) in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_3/skin_topic.php:380) in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_3/skin_topic.php:380) in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Looking at buying Evo 7,8 or 9 - Hardtuned.net
←  Mitsubishi (evotuned.com)

»
Hardtuned Classifieds

Looking at buying Evo 7,8 or 9

J's 180's Photo J's 180 04 Jan 2010

Hey all

Evo 7s are getting pretty cheap. Around the $23k mark. What's the difference between this and an 8 or 9 Evo? I know 9's have mivec, but do 7's come with the brembo's? I was thinking of getting alcon six pistons and bigger rotors and bigger rear brakes too (four pots for the rear - come like this stock?). Just to vlarify is 6 pot brakes the same as 6 piston brakes? just read different terms used by car mags? This mod would be further down track anyways as i want to enter targa events like classic adelaide rally etc yet drive my car to work if it's possible to do the two, otherwise it will be a daily driver. ABS is probably necessary so going to avoid the evo 8 unless you can install it later or if it came out on a model? Unless ABS isn't a big deal? Evo 8 or 7 i will most likely be looking at the MR version, but for the 9 they are a little expensive so stick with the normal GSR? Did Evo VIII's get released in Oz? My plans with the Evo are reaching 250kw at the wheels.

headlock's Photo headlock 06 Jan 2010

Check in the tech section, there's a couple topics that cover this.

JDM EVO's Photo JDM EVO 06 Jan 2010

View PostOne.Eight.Zero, on 04 January 2010 - 07:21 PM, said:

Hey all

Evo 7s are getting pretty cheap. Around the $23k mark. What's the difference between this and an 8 or 9 Evo? I know 9's have mivec, but do 7's come with the brembo's? I was thinking of getting alcon six pistons and bigger rotors and bigger rear brakes too (four pots for the rear - come like this stock?). Just to vlarify is 6 pot brakes the same as 6 piston brakes? just read different terms used by car mags? This mod would be further down track anyways as i want to enter targa events like classic adelaide rally etc yet drive my car to work if it's possible to do the two, otherwise it will be a daily driver. ABS is probably necessary so going to avoid the evo 8 unless you can install it later or if it came out on a model? Unless ABS isn't a big deal? Evo 8 or 7 i will most likely be looking at the MR version, but for the 9 they are a little expensive so stick with the normal GSR? Did Evo VIII's get released in Oz? My plans with the Evo are reaching 250kw at the wheels.

Just to answer a few of your questions.

- Yes Evo 7s come with Brembos (4 piston front, two piston rear). Brembos were a standard fitment on GSR's from the Evo 5 and rotors and calipers were unchanged up until and including the Evo 9.
- 6 "pot" and 6 "piston" is the same thing - different terminology.
- ABS is standard on Evo GSRs. Not ideal for trackwork but pulling a fuse can disable ABS.
- The MR version was not available for Evo 7s
- Evo 8s were the first Oz delivered Evo (apart from the TME) and only produced 195KW's

- Evo 7s are probably the most undesirable Evo ever built... i'd try and stretch the budget to an Evo 8 if possible
- If you're serious in track work, get an RS that is equipped with Brembos. They are the no frill low fat version with budget seats (swap for race seats), no climate control AC, manually operated windows and mirrors, no active yaw control etc.
- I wouldn't bother with the expense of Alcon rotors with only 250 wheel Kw's. Good rotors, pads and brake fluid should be enough with the standard Brembos and a lighter car
- Classic Adelaide is about 10K to enter for driver and co-driver!

J's 180's Photo J's 180 07 Jan 2010

ah ok well im aiming at viii mr or ix adm. the warranty will probably be on its last legs by time i purchase one as it's only 5yrs since 2005/2006, so yeh... MR is good for the exclusivity and it has better seats, more power kinda, and same as evo ix really. better fogs and hids

headlock's Photo headlock 07 Jan 2010

8 MR and IX are much of a muchness

They are both missing things the other one has but the broad strokes are the same.

The IX has the advantage of mivec, locally delivered and warranty
VIII MR has better seats and a couple things like HIDs and auto-up mirrors

otherwise they are both pretty much the same.

if you're serious about track work, have you considered a 6? Cheaper = more money for mods. Plus it's lighter.

J's 180's Photo J's 180 08 Jan 2010

well 6's have that rareness here if you have the 6.5 TME, and yeh i get that it's lighter and more gutsy and more torque than the evo 8/9, but i love the look of and daily driveability of the 8/9. It's gonna have the rare track day and maybe in yrs to come if i still have the car ill get it prepped for rally, and buy another daily. But bang for buck the TME is good i know. But my family have gotta ride in this car sometimes so at least the 8/9 has a bit of comfort

headlock's Photo headlock 09 Jan 2010

i wouldn't buy a TME for the track anyway. Too rare, if you stack it you'd kick yourself. better to buy a GSR. You'd be stripping it and replacing all the bits that make a TME different from a gsr anyway...
as you say though, the 8 / 9 is a much more comfortable thing. That's why i went with the 9. That and it's got a lot of features. Best turbo of the lot of em (apart from the 9rs), mivec, sayc, acd, and the strongest version of the 4g.

m&m's Photo m&m 04 Mar 2010

seven is by FAR the best. Looks better than the 8 which looks like a Magna and has the stronger 5 speed box. The 6 speed in the 8 and 9 break at a certain power level. The mivec in the 9 is great, but you'll need a new box if you mod too much.

The 7 has 383nm of torque, thats only 9nm behind the exalted R34 GTR, its lighter than the 9, best motoring recorded a 12.9 quarter in it.

Try that in your 8 or 9, Best motoring couldnt.

Truth is, there all great. I sold my R34 GTR and had my pic from any Evo, I chose the 7 after much research. I really wanted the 8MR, but I hate weak gearboxes, I suffered with my S15.

Best car I've ever owned, and I've had 32,33 and 34 GTR as well as my S15

I should add.

Best rear - 9
best front - 7&9
best box - 7
Lightest - 7 & 8MR
cheapest - 7
Fastest - 7
Least torque - 8
Most torque 7 & 8MR
Best turbo - 8MR
Most power - 7,8MR & 9
Least power - 8
Dearest - 9

headlock's Photo headlock 10 Mar 2010

Couple of nitpicky things regarding the above

8 GSR and RS both have the slightly stronger 5 speed box, so does the 9 RS and GT. The later ones get revised ratios.
8 MR and 9 have the same turbo. 9 RS has the best one, though there aint much in it.
7 has the least torque. 282 lb/ft vs 8 GSR 290 lb/ft, 8MR and 9 GSR 294 lb/ft.
7 is the lightest of the CT9A GSR's, however the 6 is lighter still.

That being said - the 7's a f**kin good car bang for buck.

m&m's Photo m&m 16 Mar 2010

Okay, lets eliminate ALL RS models as we cant buy them here OR get them registered.

Gearbox and turbo comment was based on OE available on cars we get here.

The Evo 9 available here does NOT have a titanium wheel turbo.

I'll just comment on the models we can import and buy in Oz

Evo 7 torque 383nm JDM
Evo 8 torque 355nm ADM
Evo 8MR torque 370nm JDM
Evo 9 torque 355nm ADM

Check the 8MR specs here if you wish.

http://www.ultimatec...III-MR-280.html

All other numbers are straight from Motor magazine. Please show me where an ADM Evo 9 has more torque than 355nm. The fact your quoting lb/ft leads me to believe your getting your info from USDM. No relevance here.

It explains why the Japs ran a 12.9 1/4 in the Evo 7 on Best Motoring. Not matched by any other Evo.

Another interesting Best Motoring video shows an 8MR with a 4kg mat on its roof, adding the weight the CF took away, go FASTER around its course with the added weight.

Please reply with relevant numbers for us poor Aussies.

headlock's Photo headlock 17 Mar 2010

UK numbers actually, we get the same car as them and we use the same octane ratings for our fuel. Only difference is their FQ model that we dont get - which i haven't quoted. USDM is the same in terms of engine, but they actually get less stuff on their cars than we do (they miss out on AYC and shit) so i dont use their numbers, and they use funny octane ratings too. If a JDM figure is higher, then it's because they run higher octane petrol than we do. Put the same car on our fuel and you'll find the number lower. You cant compare a figure quoted from japan with a figure quoted from the UK or AUS, unless you quote the numbers from the corresponding models also listed in japan.

The link i pulled the lb/ft figures from can be found in the tech section on this site. you can also check wikipedia if you want the numbers in NM - but i always take wiki with a grain of salt, so i went with the british figures. Here tis:

http://www.lancerreg...ide%20v1_00.pdf

now whether they've pulled the numbers from cars in the UK, or pulled the original numbers from Japan - i don't know. The important thing is they are from the same source. Now you might be skeptical of their numbers, but you can back it up with the USDM figures on wiki and i'm sure a quick google will find a couple more examples.

think to yourself, why would they reduce the power of a car? how would they sell it if it was heavier and less powerful than the old one? how often does that happen in moving up a model? hardly ever. Especially when the new model has a bigger turbo.

I'll have to check the fuel / timing maps of the jdm vs adm 9 to see if they 'detuned' it here, but from memory - i remember someone already did that and couldn't find much difference. I doubt there would be much in it. **see bottom**

as for the turbo the 7 has a 9.8 housing, as does the 8 GSR. The 8mr and 9 have a 10.5. Not so hard to believe it makes less torque considering. All the GSRs and the 8MR get inconel turbines and aluminium compressors. The 9 RS (which =/= GT) gets magnesium / titanium - thus making it the 'best'.

Evolution 7
Turbo = TD05HR-16G6-9.8T (GSR)
p/n = 49178-01570
----------------------------
Turbo = TD05HRA-16G6-9.8T (RS/RS2)
p/n = 49178-01580
----------------------------
Nozzle Area (cm2) = 9.8
TD05HR turbine = GSR Inconel (steel alloy)
TD05HRA turbine = RS/RS2 = Titanium alloy
Compressor 16G6 = Aluminium
Inducer = 48.3mm
Exducer = 68mm
Turbine housing = twin flapper

Evolution 7 GTA
Turbo = TD05HR-15GK2-9.0T
p/n = 49378-01500
---------------------------
Nozzle Area (cm2) = 9.0
TD05 Turbine = Inconel (steel alloy)
Compressor 15GK2 = Aluminium
Inducer = 49.3mm
Exducer = 65mm
Turbine housing = twin flapper

Evolution 8
Turbo = TD05HR-16G6-9.8T (GSR / USDM / ADM)
p/n = 49378-01520 (twin flapper)
-------------------------------
Turbo = TD05HRA-16G6-9.8T (RS/RS2 & NZDM)
p/n = 49378-1510
------------------------------
Turbo = TD05HR-16G6-9.8T
p/n = 49378-01540 (ADM EVO8 single flapper)
Nozzle Area (cm2) = 9.8
TD05HR turbine = USDM EVO 8 & JDM GSR =Inconel (steel alloy),
TD05HRA turbine = RS Titanium alloy.
Inducer = 48.3mm
Exducer = 68mm
Turbine housing = twin flapper USDM

Evolution 8MR aka "8.5"
TD05HR-16G6-10.5T
p/n = 49378-1560
TD05HRA-16G6-10.5T (Ti Alloy option)
p/n = 49378-1550
Nozzle Area (cm2) = 10.5
TD05HR turbine = Inconel (steel alloy)
TD05HRA turbine = Titanium alloy
Inducer = 48.3mm
Exducer = 68mm
Turbine housing = single flapper

Evolution 9
Turbo = TD05HR-16G6-10.5T (GSR)
p/n = 49378-01580
Turbo = TD05HRA-16G6mC-10.5T (RS)
p/n = 49378-01571
p/n = 49378-01570
----------------------
Nozzle Area (cm2) = 10.5
TD05HR turbine GSR = Inconel (steel alloy),
TD05HRA turbine RS = Titanium alloy
Compressor 16G6 = Aluminium (GSR)
Inducer = 48.3mm
Exducer = 68mm
Compressor 16G6mC = Magnesium (RS)
Inducer = 48.3mm
Exducer = 68mm
Turbine housing = single flapper

http://www.evolution...showtopic=16194

THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN 8 AND 9 TURBO.

both have 10.5 hot side. both have unaltered turbine wheels. both use the same chra, this means you can swap and mix and match these two turbo's parts to your heart's content (tme9 plug inserted here).

the cold side is the only difference. 9 cold side housing has a larger diffuser, this is the snail section, it's both longer and wider in diameter inside, this creates a faster boost up/boost production/boost response. as a result of the added length of the snail section also known as diffuser, the overall housing is larger. the exducer of the 9 turbo is larger to fill up the space inside of the 9 housing (see below for caveats). the inducer remains relatively the same size.

the reason for br moving to 9 housing is to remove all chances of surge on his and now fp's wheel, larger housing also allows more air through even though the wheel that the 20gs are using is based off the old 8 housing which would leave exducer diameters smaller!

small things that are different. the angling of the turbo oil lines is slightly off due to the 9 housing size. the angle of the coolant line is also a bit off. these two can be bent to fit. the cold side outlet pipe is much different and you can't bend this unit to fit it between the two turbos. so the outlet elbow pipe is the only thing you need from the install kit. everything else can be bent to fit.

(thats referring to 20g upgrades but gives some insight into the design of the 9 turbo vs the 8MR (the 8 GSR has a 9.8 housing so its a fair assumption they are not referring to that)

http://www.turbo-own...6g-20g-etc.html

here is side by side, evo 9 RS turbo and evo 8 turbo. E9 is left. You can see the different coloured compressor wheel.

Posted Image

if a 7 is fasted in a quarter mile (compared to what, 8 and 9?) it's because it's a fair bit lighter and isn't that much less powerful, i mean we are talking a bees dick in power increases here. I wouldn't argue with that. That's assuming back to back, same day same driver.

seems that the timing is different on the JDM models. Apparently it's quite common for JDM models to get high knock readings here in AUS using our fuels. The ECU automatically pulls timing if it detects knock, so it's not really an issue - but naturally you will be losing 'power' when that happens.

http://www.evolution...showtopic=50785

there's no 'proof' in there - but those guys in the open ecu forum know their stuff so i'm inclined to believe them.

J's 180's Photo J's 180 13 May 2010

lol at battle. but yeh for cheapness sake the 7 seems the go. can always update lights etc.

JDM EVO's Photo JDM EVO 13 May 2010

I wouldn't purchase an Evo 7 because I think they're the black sheep in the evolution line-up. If it were to be an 8, it would have to be the MR but ultimately, the Evo 9 really is the pick of the bunch IMO.

View PostCHASE-1, on 13 May 2010 - 08:06 PM, said:

lol at battle. but yeh for cheapness sake the 7 seems the go. can always update lights etc.

Why don't you buy one already FFS?

anexiole's Photo anexiole 07 Jun 2010

1) From best motoring, the 8MR and IX have different turbo designs in terms of the intake.
2) From http://homepage2.nif...ancer/turbo.htm,
a) the Evo 8MR turbos are 16G whilst the IX MR run 15G.
B) yes, the evo 8MR do have the same serial as per the EVO IX GSR (not the MR) where both are 16Gs.

View Postheadlock, on 10 March 2010 - 03:42 PM, said:

8 MR and 9 have the same turbo. 9 RS has the best one, though there aint much in i

Edited by anexiole, 07 June 2010 - 09:22 PM.

headlock's Photo headlock 08 Jun 2010

ADM IX's are GSR - 16G. Weird that the 9MR uses a 15g wheel, i wonder what the deal is with that. but they aren't available in oz short of private or track only import so not really worth worrying about.

you are right that the intake design is different between the IX GSR and the 8MR, the compressor housing is slightly more efficient. Only found that out recently.

anexiole's Photo anexiole 08 Jun 2010

I got to agree with you - why can't the EVO 9 MR be brought in?

I just don't understand. If they can comply Evo 8 MRs, why not the 9MRs?
Weird.

Anyway, yeah i am too puzzled why the 9MR is using a smaller wheel.
Weird.

View Postheadlock, on 08 June 2010 - 02:20 PM, said:

ADM IX's are GSR - 16G. Weird that the 9MR uses a 15g wheel, i wonder what the deal is with that. but they aren't available in oz short of private or track only import so not really worth worrying about.

you are right that the intake design is different between the IX GSR and the 8MR, the compressor housing is slightly more efficient. Only found that out recently.

View Postanexiole, on 08 June 2010 - 02:25 PM, said:

I got to agree with you - why can't the EVO 9 MR be brought in?

I just don't understand. If they can comply Evo 8 MRs, why not the 9MRs?
Weird.

Anyway, yeah i am too puzzled why the 9MR is using a smaller wheel.
Weird.

View Postheadlock, on 08 June 2010 - 02:20 PM, said:

I think it's something to do with the import approval process mitsubishi went through. Some weird legal stuff i'm sure. Probably similar to how you cant import JDM S14 and register them, but you can import JDM S15's.

it's a pity, cause whatever it is, means you cant import the IX wagon either. That would be rad.

anexiole's Photo anexiole 08 Jun 2010

hmmm can't you import S14 JDMs? i thought the ones that had the Silvia badges were JDM here ... aww well, the badges were prolly jdm though lol.

Evo 8 MR could come in and prolly the same process. This is really fXXXed up.
NZ could get anything they want.

I think it's something to do with the import approval process mitsubishi went through. Some weird legal stuff i'm sure. Probably similar to how you cant import JDM S14 and register them, but you can import JDM S15's.

it's a pity, cause whatever it is, means you cant import the IX wagon either. That would be rad.

yeah JDM s14 is race / rally only for some reason. People just stick Silvia badges on em :)

but for some reason JDM S15 is ok. I dont know what the deal is with that

vr4nut's Photo vr4nut 17 Jun 2010

I think ultimately the point here is that they are all excellent cars, and for the money nothing will come close.

If you like the look of the 7, go for it, if you don't, don't. Many find that the 7's look is more aggressive, however if resale is important to you, than it may be better going with an 8 or a 9.

There is a pretty sweet 6 for sale in the classifieds section at the moment. Has a lot of fruit on it..

Agresr_SA's Photo Agresr_SA 01 Jul 2010

yeah i decided to sell my s15 n buy evo9......i need a 4 door car.......
been searching for a while n i dnt think u can go pass evo 9 (not jst cos im buying one)........

sunnysingh's Photo sunnysingh 03 Jul 2010

View PostAgresr_SA, on 01 July 2010 - 11:20 PM, said:

been searching for a while n i dnt think u can go pass evo 9 (not jst cos im buying one)........

My mate has a red one for sale on carsales in excellent condition. I think he's asking for 38k but he's negotiable. Evo 9 with full service history and some good mods.

JDM EVO's Photo JDM EVO 03 Jul 2010

yeah i decided to sell my s15 n buy a black evo9......i need a 4 door car.......

Fixed. :thumbsup:

I thought you purchased an STI?

Agresr_SA's Photo Agresr_SA 04 Jul 2010

View PostEVO POWER, on 03 July 2010 - 07:04 PM, said:

yeah i decided to sell my s15 n buy a black evo9......i need a 4 door car.......

Fixed. :thumbsup:

I thought you purchased an STI?

lol cheers for mentioning BLACK HAHA
yeah i did get sti but its more for my missus.....she also has s15 i bought for her now she wants that rexi sound lol....

Agresr_SA's Photo Agresr_SA 04 Jul 2010

View Postsunnysingh, on 03 July 2010 - 05:56 PM, said:

My mate has a red one for sale on carsales in excellent condition. I think he's asking for 38k but he's negotiable. Evo 9 with full service history and some good mods.

38k is cheap dude....if i was looking for a red one i wld get that....
im after black.....mine done 23000km with few extras motec n tein monoflex etc....

M0rph's Photo M0rph 07 Jul 2010

View Postsunnysingh, on 03 July 2010 - 05:56 PM, said:

Is that Sanjeets? Very well looked after and has some nice mods on it.

headlock's Photo headlock 08 Jul 2010

didn't he just buy that car not long ago?

M0rph's Photo M0rph 08 Jul 2010

View Postheadlock, on 08 July 2010 - 09:35 AM, said:

didn't he just buy that car not long ago?

2-3 months i think!

sunnysingh's Photo sunnysingh 08 Jul 2010

3.5 months to be exact... but he's not sure if he wants to sell it anymore- a bit undecided really!

Agresr_SA's Photo Agresr_SA 10 Jul 2010

just bought evo 9 wit heavy mods....
i think i made the right choice n f**k it goes hard